Horse Health Lines (Autumn 2010) now online
The Autumn 2010 issue of Horse Health Lines is now online. View your own full-colour copy of the WCVM Equine Health Research Fund's news publication.
Inside this issue, you'll find the following stories:
• "I'm Just a Curious Guy": A profile of Dr. Andy Allen — veterinary pathologist, researcher and "general manager" for equine sarcoid research projects at the WCVM.
• Operation Lipizzaner: When a herd of Croatian Lipizzaner horses were in urgent need of medical supplies, Dr. Pat Haugh (WCVM '82) pitched in to help the famous horses.
• Equi-research @ WCVM: A WCVM research team reports on the rate of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) colonization in western Canadian horses.
• Gastric Ulcers Prevalent in Saskatchewan Racehorses: Researchers find gastric ulcers in the majority of racehorses that participated in a recent WCVM study.
• Tying-up Syndrome: A Primer: WCVM's Dr. Katharina Lohmann talks about clinical signs, diagnoses and treatment of the varying types of exertional rhabdomyolyses.
• Polo for the Ponies: A day of friendly competition on the polo fields yields impressive results for equine research at the WCVM.
ON OUR FRONT COVER: Fourth-year veterinary student Vicki Patrie visits with one of the horses in Marquis Downs' backstretch during a WCVM Veterinary Teaching Hospital field service call. Photo: Michael Raine. Go to page 11 to view a photo essay.