The First Person Project
reachAbility, a charitable organization committed to creating an even playing field for persons with all types of disability, asks Canadians with disabilities to share their experiences with employment in "The First Person Project," a book being published in 2010.
Whether you live with a physical, cognitive, visual, hearing, mental health or invisible disability, no matter where you are in your career, we want your stories of challenges, successes, stigma, accessibility, disclosure and empowerment, in your own voice and in your own way. Please send us your nonfiction contribution of no more than 1500 words; we encourage a variety of formats, from prose and poetry to art, photography, cartoons and more.
Our goal is to break down the real barriers to employment (stigma, fear and misunderstanding), to spread the "Equal (fair and equitable) Not Special" message, and to increase awareness of the advantages and achievability of inclusion, with strategies and solutions for the future. We're interested in particular incidents and/or your overall experience. Topics you could focus on, but are not limited to, include:
1. How has your disability affected your getting a job? How do you feel about disclosure? If you have disclosed your disability in a job interview, what happened?
2. Have you felt accepted or excluded by management and co-workers?
3. What sort of barriers have you encountered at work? How have you dealt with them?
4. If your disability or issues surrounding it arose while you were employed, did things change at work, and if so, how? Were accommodations made? Did you leave work?
5. Has your disability influenced your job choices? Have you changed careers?
The deadline for submissions is April 1, 2010.*
*Please include your name, age, sex, disability and location. Your piece may appear anonymously at your request. Submission is not a guarantee of publication. Submissions are considered donations and are not compensated. We reserve the right to edit.
For more information or to make a submission, please contact:
Karen Janik, First Person Project Editor
Tel/TTY: (902) 429-5878 | Toll Free/TTY: 1 (866) 429-5878
6389 Coburg Road, Suite 200, Halifax, Nova Scotia, B3H 2A5