So I found a camera.
A few months ago, I came across this post from Russell Davies. He talked about how to improve yourself to be more interesting to others. The things he suggest are pretty much like New Year Resolutions, but I like them anyways. He based this on two assumptions:
"The way to be interesting is to be interested. You’ve got to find what’s interesting in everything, you’ve got to be good at noticing things, you’ve got to be good at listening. If you find people (and things) interesting, they’ll find you interesting.
Interesting people are good at sharing. You can’t be interested in someone who won’t tell you anything. Being good at sharing is not the same as talking and talking and talking. It means you share your ideas, you let people play with them and you’re good at talking about them without having to talk about yourself.
The marvelous thing about tinterweb is that it’s got great tools for being interested and great tools for sharing. So I’ve used them a lot. It should, of course, be obvious that there are many other ways to be interesting. Some of them don't involve computers at all. These are just 10 things, and if you do them you’ll get more interesting. Or at the very least you’ll start practising the skills of being interesting."
Here are the list of things he suggests:
1. Take at least one picture everyday. Post to flickr.
2. Start a blog. Write a sentence at least once a week.
3. Keep a scrapbook.
4. Every week, read a magazine I've never read before.
5. Once a month interview someone for 20 minutes, work out how to make them interesting. Podcast it.
6. Collect something.
7. Once a week sit in a coffee-shop or cafe for an hour and listen to other people’s conversations. Take notes. Blog about it. (Carefully)
8. Every month write 50 words about one piece of visual art, one piece of writing, one piece of music and one piece of film or TV. Do other art forms if you can. Blog about it
9. Make something.
10. Read a book. (this one I changed)
Here is the original post: how to be interesting
I'm going to try some of these. Not sure about the scrapbooking.. but we'll see if I have time.
BTW: I updated the "About Me" post plus I'm trying to clean up this blog by editing some posts.