July 12, 2006
Impact 2006: Wednesday Session 1: CE4 to 6 migration
Dallas University experiences in migrating.
This is a quick summary, more details to follow.
- We have to re-examine the backup-restore issues. Faculty may not be able to restore their own courses even if we do set them up as course instructors, because course instructors may only be able to restore at the course level, not the section level.
- Students had little problem migrating to new system.
- 4.1 instructors oringally hated new system. There is a huge need for training and handholding to get people used to WebCT 6. most however liked it once they became familiar with it.
- New designers had very little problem with the new system.
Need to get help desk staff involved and aware of possible problems. Most common problems are:
- Disable popup blockers
- Remove all but one version of the Java Runtime environment. Can really mess things up if you have more than one version installed. Could pass validation tests, but still not work properly.
- Make sure java runtime environment is the recommended one (1.4.2 or higher I think).
Posted by kvl014 at July 12, 2006 12:17 PM